Things You Should Know About Black Mold

You are currently viewing Things You Should Know About Black Mold
  • Post category:Mold Damage

One thing you may worry about if you find mold in your home is whether or not it is black mold. But why are we more concerned about black mold? Regardless of what type of mold you have found in your home, its still important to get it removed right away to avoid structural and cosmetic damage, as well all the health conditions that come with exposure to mold. What does it even mean to find black mold in your home? Here are some facts and useful information about black mold.

Black Mold- What Even Is It?

Black mold is a species of mold that is scientifically known as “Stachybotrys chartarum” (or even by the nickname, “Stachy”). There are 3 classifications of mold: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxic. Black mold is classified as a toxic mold, which is why it is so alarming to home owners and those who may have been exposed to it. There are many molds that look like black mold, but this type in particular is more of a greenish black. Most olds thrive in mostly damp or highly humid environments, but this mold is unique as it requires 100% saturation and constant moisture in order to grow. This can be somewhat of a relief, but it can also be an indicator if you think you may have black mold.

How Do You Identify Toxic Black Mold

First it is important to  make sure the environment your mold is found in is conducive to the growth of black mold. You can normally identify it by the color, and by its fluffy appearance, as opposed to the mostly flat molds that you may confuse it with. Black mold merely needs the constant moisture to grow. It can thrive on any surface, but mostly lives on porous surfaces, which, unfortunately, makes up most of our homes. Things like drywall, wood and particle board, cardboard, carpet, furniture, ceiling tiles, upholstery, and so much more are at risk of black mold if they are exposed to the right circumstances.

Black mold growing on a white ceiling

Symptoms Of Exposure

After long term exposure, both humans and domestic pets can fall victim to mold poisoning. Though this can sometimes be fatal, that is why it is imperative to eliminate the threat of mold as quickly as possible. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it may be time to invite APR Restoration to assess the situation and help you get rid of your mold problem. If it is serious, it is also imperative that you speak to your health care provider. Symptoms can include:

  • Rashes and skin irritation
  • Chronic cough
  • Allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, irritated throat
  • Constant headaches
  • Irritation to your sinuses or mucous membranes
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fatigue

No matter what kind of mold you find in your home, it is important to remove it as soon as possible in order to keep yourself safe and your home sturdy and undamaged. Cleaning on your own can often cause the spores to travel through the air, thus making the mold spread and creating a bigger issue. If you find yourself dealing with a mold problem don’t panic, just call Restoration & Recovery Contractors of America. We are a trustworthy Restoration company that can be reached 24/7 – (833) 367-2776.

Published from APR Restoration's blog (apr-nc.com). Source.

Leave a Reply